Did you know that the average full-time employee has just under three hours of productivity time each day? Just because you're at work doesn't mean work is getting done. Studies show that most people aren't actually working when they are at work. So, what are employees doing and how can employers get that time back?
5 Facts About Wasting Time at Work
- The internet was created to make our lives easier, or so we thought. 65% of employees admit to using the internet during the workday for non-work related tasks.
- We've all joked about creating an office nap time, but did you know American companies lose close to $63 billion each year in time lost due to lack of sleep? Sounds like getting your full 8 hours of sleep should be a job requirement.
- Employees working from home are on average 14% more productive each day than co-workers working in the office. Might make you think twice before your next 30-minute chat in the lunchroom, doing some online shopping, or browsing social media.
- 61% of employees agree that loud co-workers are the biggest office distraction. Sometimes it's just not as easy as closing the door or putting in headphones.
- Document challenges account for a 21% productivity loss. Precious time is being lost looking for documents or trying to open them.
We've all been guilty of it before whether you want to admit it or not. Doesn't matter the scenario, at some point in your career you've lost a few minutes or hours of time that could have been better spent. With that being said, the time has come to get things back on the track to achieving peak efficiency!
5 Ways to Increase Efficiency at Work
- Use tools that help you manage your time efficiently. Using tools like Office 365 allows for co-workers to seamlessly collaborate together, keep things organized, and use the planning functions.
- Make sure you're using the right technology for your office. Out-of-date technology can hinder your productivity immensely. Trust us, your employees and your budget will thank you.
- Document management electronic filing systems can be a great tool to use to avoid losing documents and to drastically cut down on the time spent looking for those documents. When using this tool, businesses are spending 20% less time retrieving documents.
- As mentioned above, employees who work from home tend to be more productive. Upgrading to technologies that enable them to work on-the-go is a great way to encourage productivity. Technology like the cloud and VoIP make this possible.
- Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) offices are becoming more common. This policy allows for employees to use their own devices at work, which allows for a sense of comfort and familiarity that can give an added boost of productivity.
Improving Efficiency with SumnerOne
If you're ready to learn more about increasing the productivity within your office, then its time to work with a company that specializes in just that. When you choose to work with SumnerOne, our goal is to help your business to streamline efficiencies and to make things easier than ever before. We offer services and solutions that simply work. It's time to breakthrough the downtime and get behind technology that makes life easy again. Visit us online or give us a call to learn more about how we can help you get a handle your technology.
Originally published August 22, 2018, updated January 9, 2019